Documents to Insights
Accessing embedded document data has become one of the most highly sought-after technologies in sectors such as financial services, real estate, insurance, government, and healthcare. These industries all share a central challenge: how can we automate document processing to extract the fundamental structured information they contain?
LearnITyTM Knowledge Engine (LKE) is a Document Understanding (DU) Platform addressing this challenge
Document Understanding Platform
- LearnITytm Knowledge Engine (LKE) automates various human labour intensive tasks related to document processing
- Classifying documents
- Identifying specific parts of documents (sections,pages, paragraphs, sentences, clauses)
- Extracting information (mentions of different types ofentities, dates, numerical figures) from documents
- All of the above are done based on various conditions as per requirements of the business
How LKE Works
There are 3 phases in LKE operation:
1. Ingest the documents, split them into various components (paragraphs, tables, etc.), annotate these components in various ways, and save everything in a DB. This part is done by the NLP Engine. Apart from the built-in annotations performed by the engine (e.g., part-of-speech, dependency parse, NER, etc.) custom annotations (e.g., custom NER) are also supported.
2. The purpose of this phase is to configure various DU operations such as Information Extraction, Document Comparison, etc. For this the DU requirements are expressed in a declarative DSL named Document Comprehension Language (DCL). DCL is based on XML notation and contains various tags that are used to implement the DU operations. The annotations saved in step 1 are utilised by DCL. The DU requirements expressed in DCL syntax are saved as templates (text files) and are uploaded to LKE.
3. In this phase the actual DU operations are performed based on the ingested documents and configured DCL templates, and the results are produced in human digestible formats such as Excel/Word//PDF, and/or in machine digestible formats (JSON/XML) that may be passed to downstream applications.
LKE is a DU Platform
- LKE is a Document Understanding Platform
- It is provided as a collection of capabilities that are not tied to any specific business function or business vertical
- It may be used to support the DU requirements of any business function, Finance, Legal, Operation, HR, …
- It may be used in any business area such as Banking, Healthcare, Manufacturing, …
- LKE empowers organisations of all sizes to turn documents into insights, without requiring them to big investment in AI/ML expertise
Focus on Domain Knowledge
- LKE enables quick addition of business domain knowledge to the document understanding process
- We realise that the people who run the business have the best knowledge that may be harnessed fruitfully in making the DU process more effective and accurate
- LKE empowers business users to easily add knowledge that are specific to the business via a number of mechanisms such as business rules, custom dictionaries, ontologies, etc.
- Human in the loop is thus an integral part in all LKE capabilities (custom entity creation, business rule formulation, model validation, etc.)
LKE – Under the Hood
- LKE converts text into a representation of meaning that can satisfy a broad set of information needs
- Documents are processed using technologies such as semantic parsing to create a Knowledge Base
- This knowledge base is complemented by external knowledge sources such Wikipedia as well as domain specific knowledge bases
- Logical reasoning is applied on the knowledge assets created to fulfil the document understanding requirements of the business